guest house dervaig mull
Home page |
Prices / Availability |
Transport / Directions |
Local attractions |
isle of mull, eagle island, birdwatching, b&b, bed breakfast, dervaig, bandb, guest house vacation, western isles, hebrides, holiday, short breaks
You may find this information helpful when researching the area prior to your visit
Mull has been used as a location in a number of feature films over the years. These include Entrapment, Highlander: Endgame, Eye of the Needle, I Know Where I'm Going, Kidnapped and When Eight Bells Toll. Travelling through eastern Mull to the Lochaline to Fishnish ferry link may lead you through some of the scenes featured in the Harry Potter films. Mull is also currently serving as the location for The Sea Change, which began filming towards the end of 2008.
The BBC children's TV series Balamory features the town of Tobermory on the island. This increased tourism as it offers a range of activities to do around the island.
Mull Theatre is a professional theatre company based in a new (2008) theatre production centre in the village of Dervaig near Tobermory. Funded by the Scottish Arts Council, the company commissions plays, tours throughout Scotland and beyond and runs an education and outreach programme. It started at the "Mull Little Theatre" at Dervaig in 1966 and was the "Smallest Professional Theatre in the World" according to the Guinness World Records. The National Theatre of Scotland were in residence at the Mull Theatre in April 2009.
Wildlife film-maker Simon King went on location to Mull for the first week of Springwatch with Bill Oddie, where he observed a resident family of white-tailed eagles a male and female named Skye and Frisa respectively, and their two chicks, Itchy and Scratchy. Wildlife cameraman Gordon Buchanan recently returned to his native Mull to film a year in the life of the wildlife. First broadcast in 2005 for the Natural World series, Eagle Island focuses on sea eagles, golden eagles, otters, basking sharks and the cetaceans found off the coast.
The singer song writer Colin MacIntyre famously once used the name Mull Historical Society as a pseudonym. Born on the island he took the name from the actual Historical Society who have since changed their name to Mull Historical and Archaeological Society.
Mull has a coastline of 480 kilometres (300 mi) and its climate is moderated by the Gulf Stream. The island has a mountaineous core, the highest peak on the island being Ben More, which reaches 966 metres (3,170 ft). Various peninsulas, which are predominantly moorland, radiate from the centre.
The Aros peninsula to the north includes the main town of Tobermory, which was a burgh until 1973 when burghs were abolished. Other settlements include Salen and Calgary. The Ross of Mull lies to the south west and includes the villages of Bunessan, Pennyghael, Uisken and Fionnphort. Lochbuie, Lochdon and Craignure lie to the east.
Numerous islands lie off the west coast of Mull, including Erraid, Inch Kenneth, Iona and Ulva. Smaller uninhabited islands include Eorsa, Gometra, Little Colonsay, the Treshnish Isles and Staffa of Fingal's Cave fame. Calve Island is an uninhabited island in Tobermory Bay. Two outlying rock lighthouses are also visible from the south west of Mull, Dubh Artach and Skerryvore. The Torran Rocks are a large shoal of reefs, islets and skerries, approximately 15 square miles (39 km2) in extent, located two miles (3 km) to the south west, between the Ross of Mull peninsula and Dubh Artach. Frank Lockwood's Island near Lochbuie is named after the brother-in-law of the 21st MacLean of Lochbuie, who was Solicitor General from 1894-5.
It is widely understood that Mull was inhabited shortly after the end of the last ice-age, from around 6000 BC. Bronze Age inhabitants built menhirs, brochs and a stone circle with examples of burial cairns, cists, standing stones, stone circles, pottery and knife blades providing compelling evidence.
In the 14th century Mull became part of the Lordship of the Isles. After the collapse of the Lordship in 1493 the island was taken over by the clan MacLean, and in 1681 by the clan Campbell.